Vinyl gutters are made of Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC. Vinyl is a popularly used compound nowadays in making various construction materials from roofing to fences and now gutters. These PVC gutters are the new in thing in the gutter world. It is slowly taking over the world that was once ruled by metal gutters. Before, the popular gutters were made from copper, steel, aluminum and zinc. With the arrival of the PVC gutters these traditional gutters were set aside. They are still available and are still used by some but little by little gutters made of vinyl are taking over, all for the right reason. If you’re planning to replace gutters or building a new home, consider gutters made of vinyl and see the following reasons below.
- Durable. This is the primary reason why vinyl rain gutters are slowly gaining popularity. Unlike the metal gutters that are prone to corrosion, these gutters are more resistant to corrosion. It can withstand the even the harshest weather conditions. This is because PVC is a durable plastic that does not rust, which metals are prone to do.
- Cost Effective. Unlike the metal gutters, gutters made of vinyl are inexpensive to install. Maintenance for these gutters is also cheaper because it does not need repainting. Repair and replacing the damaged part is also easier and cheaper to do.
- Color Retention. You do not have to keep repainting your vinyl gutter because it is dyed and not painted, meaning the paint will stay on all throughout. Brown vinyl gutters will stay brown until you replace your gutter.
- Can get brittle. Even though vinyl in general is a tough material, it can still become brittle and crack after being exposed to extreme heat for over a period of time.
- Warping. One of the downside of using gutters made of vinyl is that it warps. Propping up a ladder against it can cause it to warp as well as heavy rains.
Installing vinyl gutters are relatively easy to do. You can do it all by yourself if you have the patience to do so. Here are the steps on how to install the gutters:
- To install the vinyl gutter, the first thing that you need to do is to draw the plan for your gutter layout. Then you have to measure how long your gutter is going to be.
- Mark the slope for gutter installation. The gutters need to have a slope so that water can flow out. The slope should be half an inch.
- The next thing you need to do is to install the downspout at the end of the gutter.
- Attaching the hangers for the gutter to hang on to is the next step of the process.
- You can proceed in attaching the gutter sections on the hangers.
- The drain pipe is the next that you need to attach after you secure the gutter sections.
- To keep the debris from blocking the drain pipe you can put a mesh over it.
Choosing A Vinyl Gutter
There are several styles of gutters made of vinyl available. Your choice would depend on the design of your house. The color would also depend on the color scheme of your house. Traditional whites and reds are available but also the unconventional oranges and pinks. In choosing, make sure that it is of good quality and that it is reasonably priced. You can take a look at the vinyl gutters Lowes has for what you might need. These are popularly used options for gutters today and its likely these are sold in hardware stores near you.