As many as forty types of pumps are available in the market these days. However, to a make purchase of the most appropriate pump one should have complete knowledge of the various kinds of pumps in market and their usability. These pumps are needed to transfer water for both residential and commercial uses. You can just imagine the significance of its presence because without this equipment significant amount of time and labor will be used up to do the job.
Popular Pumps and Their Mechanisms
There are pumps that are popular for daily use and there are some that doesn’t even look like one because of its custom made mechanisms to complete a specific task. Here are some of the most popular pumps along with their working mechanism:
- ANSI Process Pumps – They are standard dimension pumps and have identical envelopes as well as dimensions. It is a horizontal suction pump and is mounted upon a frame. They are mostly used in refineries and plants.
- API Process Pumps – It serves in hydrocarbon processing and is best for this job. It works on end suction phenomenon and has horizontal split case, vertical turbine, closed impellers as well as locked wearing ring.
- Booster Pump – Among all types of pumps booster pumps are the one that are used for boosting pressure in a system. It is a multi staged pump and uses multiple impellers to pump fluid.
- Canned motor pumps – It is the type of pump which has no seals and the impeller present in them has direct attachment with motor that has a can which separates wet rotors from stator of motor.
- Chopper Pumps – These are centrifugal pumps that are made in such a way that they can chop all kinds of stingy materials as well as solids while pumping. They have a vertical column structure and end suction phenomenon of working.
- Circulator Pumps – These are one among the various centrifugal types of pumps and these pumps work on in-line suction phenomenon. They can be great transfer pumps for people looking for water or even more thin fluid pumps.
- End suction pumps – Among all types of pumps, this is the most abundantly used and common pump. It has a horizontal shaft which has an impeller hanging in it. The flow of liquid goes till the end of casing and comes out at top.
- Fire pumps – They are used in fire extinguishing process and they have a horizontal split case or a vertically positioned turbine pump that serves UL/FM services.
- Grinder pumps – These are submersible sewage pumps that have cutting teeth incorporated in an impeller. These teeth grind the sewage and boost pressure.
- Jet Pumps – These are low cost pumps and have an ejector installed in them to boost up the flow of fluids in them.
Besides this there are several other types of pumps like magnetic drive pumps, multistage pumps, regenerative turbine pumps, slurry pumps, self priming pumps and more. Making a selection for the appropriate transfer pump helps in increasing system life and reducing cost. Before making purchase of a pump one should check them for the following details:
- Pump Type
- Basic Description
- Key Features
- Applications used
- Recommended media
- Advantages of purchasing it
- Flow Rate Range
- Total Head (pressure) Range
- Horse Power Range
Not just this one should also read about the specifications of the pump that are mentioned in the booklet which accompanies the pump and also check them for their certifications.
Understanding all the types of pumps may take a lifetime but all you have to do is understand your needs. Once you start from the bottom you will have no problem following your way until you reach the right choice for the type of pump that you require.